___________

Friday, March 4, 2011

I'll Miss You, Ollie


Mets fans love to complain about their team. I know this because I am a Mets fan who loves to complain about my team. This is not a knock on us, because we have had plenty of reason to express our frustration since 1986. Whether it is overpaid underachievers, late season collapses, un-inspiring managers, giant outfield walls, or broke owners, there is always something to draw the ire of us Mets fans.

Over the past few years, nothing has caused more complaining among Mets fans than the trials and tribulations of Oliver Perez. We all feel like Ollie stole tricked us into believing in him with a great 2006 NLCS, then proceeded to steal $36 million from our own wallets. He pitches horribly, acts like he doesn't care, and seemingly refuses to try to improve.

I don't want Ollie to be anywhere near the Citi Field, let alone in their starting rotation or bullpen. For the past four years, I have read Mets news hoping to see that he was traded, released, retired, or abducted by aliens.

So why was I happy to see that he pitched well yesterday in what was widely believed to be his last chance? With Ollie's Mets career finally on its deathbed, I realized that I will actually miss him a little bit when he's gone. Not because I think he can contribute to the team in any way other than as a waterboy, but because his terribleness has been a consistent source of conversation for Mets fans. When things have gone badly for the Mets we have always been able to make Ollie the scapegoat, either to have a laugh or because it was really true. No money to sign free agents? Blame Ollie's contract. The rotation is weak? Too bad Ollie didn't live up to his potential. No chemistry in the clubhouse? Ollie must be infecting his teammates with his bad attitude. Through thick and thicker, we could count on #46 to blame.

Soon enough Ollie will probably be released, if Collins and Alderson have half a brain and any sympathy for Mets fans. I will rejoice and call it the best Mets-related news in years. But once the dust settles and Ollie is really gone there will be a void.

Sure, the Mets have countless other major problems. But none will cause us to complain as much and for as long as Ollie did. And for that I will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment