___________

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

That Was Phun

4 games into the year and the Koolaid is flowing pretty easily.  There are a lot of things to be happy with -David Wright and Ike Davis seem to be hitting just as we need them to, Carlos Beltran seems to be easing his way back into non-injured play fairly nicely, 3 great pitching performances including one by newcomer Chris Young.  We could talk about all of these things, but what everyone needs today is how to answer the comments of Phillies fans for tomorrow because it's going to sound pretty familiar.

They'll say, "We're still 3 and 1."  You say, "You're right." and smile.

They'll say, "It's 4 games into the season, talk to me in August when your season is over." You say, "I hope we do talk in August, September even."

They'll say, "Wait til Utley comes back.  You weren't even playing our real team."  You say, "You don't have to tell me buddy, we know better than anyone how tough injuries can be."

Then they'll probably throw beer on you or vomit on you if they're a real Phillies fan, but you shouldn't do that my friends.  You should do like our good friends over at 27 Up 27 Down T-shirts, "Stay Calm and Carry On."  The fact of the matter is it is only 4 games in.  There's still a lot of baseball left.  I can tell you one thing though, if there are a lot more games this season like the last 3 the Mets have played, then this season is going to be fun. 

I could throw a lot of analysis back at you on the reasons for all the great things that have happened this season, but now I feel like I'll jinx it or realize how stupid I sound.  Instead, I sit back here enjoying the fact that baseball is back, there's already been some excitement, and there's a lot of baseball to play.  So you sit back too, take a sip of the Koolaid, because tonight, it tastes very sweet.  DRINK IT UP.

No comments:

Post a Comment